At Northorpe, we provide mental health support for children and young people up to the age of 18 in Kirklees. This includes counselling, 1 to 1 support, group activities and workshops as well as advice, useful resources and support over the phone.

Our support will help you, and your family, understand what's affecting your emotional wellbeing and do something about it. We can help you better understand yourself, improve your resilience and live a full and enjoyable life. Where needed, we can help you and your family find the specialist services that you need.

How do I ask for help?

You can either call us on 0300 304 555 or contact us online.

We'll chat to you about how you’re feeling, ask about your school, family, friendships, eating and sleeping habits as well as any worries you may have.

We'll also ask for:

  • Your name, address, date of birth, ethnicity, telephone number and any disability.
  • Who you live with and where.
  • Whether or not your parents/carers/family members are aware and if we are able to discuss this with them.
  • Which doctor you're registered with and whether we can share information with them.
  • Which school you go to and whether we can share information with them.
  • Details of any other organisations that are involved in your life i.e. Social Care, Family Support

We will ask you about suicide and self harm

We know this question can make people uncomfortable, but our priority is to make sure you're safe. If you're not feeling suicidal or self-harming, you'll still get the support you need. If you are, it's safe to talk to us and these conversations are confidential unless we feel there's a significant risk to you or someone else. We will always try and speak to you before we speak to someone else.

What happens next?

Once we have the information we need, we'll work out how we can help and send you a letter offering support. While you are waiting for support, you'll also receive a regular newsletter, which includes tips on wellbeing as well as information on upcoming workshops or events.

Where appropriate, a Wellbeing Support Worker will get in touch and they will monitor how you are feeling and provide advice and resources to help you improve your emotional wellbeing. If they have your permission, they'll also contact your school teacher or doctor. If you're over 11, your support worker will speak to you directly.

Image showing people waving rainbow flags in support of LGBTQ

We aim for all our services to be welcoming and accessible for young people from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans communities. Suggestions and feedback are always welcomed. Please contact us. See our resources section too.