Family Support Volunteers at Northorpe Hall enjoyed a canal trip on Thursday 7th June 2018, to celebrate National Volunteers Week. The outing was supported by a Volunteer crew from Safe Anchor Trust, Shepley Bridge Marina, who helped us make the event really fun and enjoyable. We had food and refreshments, and a little jaunt down the canal! We also celebrated a special Volunteer Birthday in the evening. Whilst this event was part of the national celebration, we very much wanted to have an event that gave our Volunteers time for reflection, to hit the pause button in their very busy lives and just ‘enjoy the moment’. Without pressure, we wanted to create an opportunity for quiet mindfulness, and the reflections of the evening demonstrated this was achieved. The feedback was amazing, it was evident that the small group of volunteers that participated really enjoyed the experience to simply ‘be’ with their peers.
Volunteer Feedback from the Event
We asked Volunteers to give us some feedback about their thoughts and feelings:-
What Volunteers love about Volunteering…
- It’s liberating
- I feel I am growing as a person
- It’s inspirational – the people you meet along the way
- Being helpful for someone who needs it
- Very rewarding
What staff at Northorpe feel about having Volunteers around…
- I love having Volunteer in groups, not only teaching someone but learning from them too.
- Volunteers complete the team! It’s a pleasure to watch them grow, and be supported by them. We’re so grateful for Volunteers and Young Leaders.
- Family Support Volunteers really make a difference to children and families, they are fully committed, and absolutely give everything they can to help enable children to have great lives.
Taking a moment…. Our reflections from our trip… what we saw and heard, what we felt
- Ducks and baby ducklings, perched on a branch
- The sound of laughter
- The reflection against the water, with the sun
- Three Steve’s on board…. And hey, we’re all called Steve!
- Slanting sunlight on the water
- Peace and tranquillity
- Lovely group of ducklings
- Stillness of the water
- Splish splash of the water
We gave all Volunteers present (and those unable to attend), a gift bag and personal Thank You card, which were organised by Volunteering Kirklees.
If you'd like to become one of our volunteers, find out more by visiting our Volunteering page.